This blog is an attempt to track terrorist attacks worldwide on a weekly basis. While recognising the challenges in defining ‘terrorism’, the incidents listed here will be limited to attacks committed – or claimed – by known terrorist groups (Al Qaeda, Islamic State, FARC, etc.) or those where there is a clear underlying ideological, religious or political motive. Actual attacks carried out, and not those thwarted through arrests, only will be listed (for unsuccessful plots check out Borealis’ X feed @borealissaves). This list makes no claim to be exhaustive as it is limited by time and resources available to scan open source intelligence (OSINT).
Events where information is still being gathered may be included with a caveat that they may not turn out in the end to be terrorist in nature. Crimes motivated solely by hate will NOT appear here. Borealis realises that this too is problematic but believes that a distinction between terrorism and hate crimes is worth maintaining.
After the listing of individual incidents analysis of the visible trendlines will be briefly discussed. Multiple, independent sources (OSINT) will be listed wherever possible.
|Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
|7 d 10 w
|Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
|3 d 4 w
|Borno State, Nigeria
|7 d 3 w
|North Waziristan, Pakistan
|2 d 12 w
|Jammu Kashmir, India
|5 d 8 w
|9 d ? w
|Baluchistan Liberation Front
Explosion in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa kills five police officers – Khaama Press; Blast in Pakistan kills five police officers during polio vaccination drive – The Island; Death toll from Bajaur attack rises to 7; FIR registered against unidentified assailants – Pakistan – DAWN.COM
Terrorist infiltration to Adora: One wounded, 3 terrorists killed (ynetnews.com); Shooting attack near Hebron: Israeli injured in town Adora, three terrorists eliminated | Israel National News – Arutz Sheva; West Bank: At Least 3 Palestinian Terrorists Killed In Foiled Infiltration Bid – I24NEWS
Office of the Taliban Governor in Nimroz targeted by suicide attack – Khaama Press; Suicide Bomber Detonates Explosive in Nimroz Governor’s Office: Officials | TOLOnews; Suicide Bomber Detonates Explosive in Nimroz Governor’s Office: Officials | TOLOnews
The second full week of 2024 followed the same pattern as the first. All attacks worldwide, with the exception of one, were carried out by Islamist terrorists, of both the Sunni and Shia variety. Of particular note:
- Al Shabaab continues to be active despite Somali government claims of success against the terrorist group: the same goes for Boko Haram which the Nigerian government has been calling all but dead for years;
- Houthi terrorists continue to target commercial shipping in the Red Sea despite UK and US airstrikes against camps in Yemen;
- The Hizballah attack on northern Israel demonstrates that the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack and Israeli military response still risks metastasising;
- The Taliban, which several nations still see as a terrorist group, are themselves the victim of attacks by Islamist jihadis;
- Pakistan struggles against what they call the TTP – Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan – a terrorist group they accuse Afghanistan of hosting;
- Once again, not a single right-wing terrorist attack anywhere on Earth was registered.