Many people turn to religion in times of need and we are in such a time with the coronavirus crisis. But while this is acceptable, some of the practices advocated by a few religious leaders are unhelpful and will aid in the spread of the virus. This too is religious extremism.
See my ongoing coverage of the Coronavirus crisis
- Borealis talks with American terrorism guru Brian Jenkins
- When language matters
- Quick Hits 144 – Why do we have intelligence if it is not acted on?
- Quick Hits 141 – Are we misusing the term ‘terrorism’?
- Quick Hits 138 – We need to call religious extremism what it is – extreme!
- Quick Hits 127 – The hubris of ‘prediction’
When Religion Kills: How Extremists Justify Violence Through Faith (2019)
Christian fundamentalists. Hindu nationalists. Islamic jihadists. Buddhist militants. Jewish extremists. Members of these and other religious groups have committed horrific acts of terrorist violence in recent decades. Phil Gurski explores violent extremism across a broad range of the world’s major religions.